From December 30, 2020, regulations are in force that allow - under new additional rules - nurses / nurses and midwifes / midwifes who have obtained qualifications to perform their professions in non-EU countries to take up work in Poland.
The right to practice the profession of a nurse or midwife for a specific scope of professional activities, time and place of employment in Poland
Who Can Benefit
Any person, regardless of nationality (also a Pole), who has obtained the qualifications of a nurse or midwife outside the territory of the European Union Member States and meets the following conditions:
- holds a diploma of nurse or midwife;
- obtained a certificate from the entity performing medical activities
in Poland, who intends to employ her,
- has at least three years of professional experience as a nurse or midwife, obtained in the period of five years immediately preceding the obtaining of a certificate from an entity performing medical activities in Poland.
How to settle the matter and what documents to present
- Contact the healthcare facility in Poland where you intend to work
and obtain a certificate containing a declaration specifying the list of organizational units of the medical facility and the duration of the planned employment with an indication of the scope of professional activities consistent with your education;
- Submit a hand-signed application to the Minister of Health (according to the available template, remember to provide the correspondence address, e-mail address and telephone number) and all the following documents necessary for its consideration (number the attached documents according to the ordinal number indicated in the application , mark document translations with letter a):
1) a certificate from the entity performing medical activities, containing the following information:
a) your name and surname;
b) a list of organizational units of the medical entity in which you may take up employment;
c) duration of planned employment;
d) Indication of the scope of professional activities consistent with your education;
2) a self-signed declaration that you demonstrate knowledge of the Polish language necessary to perform the scope of professional activities entrusted to you; (the declaration should include your surname and first name, place and date of the declaration, and your legible signature);
3) a statement with the following content: "Being aware of the criminal liability for making a false statement, I declare that I have full legal capacity" (the statement should contain your surname and first name, place and date of the statement, and your legible signature);
4) a document issued by a doctor confirming that you have a health condition that allows you to practice as a nurse or midwife. This document may be issued by both a Polish doctor and a doctor from your country of origin, but then it must be translated into Polish by a sworn translator (remember the document may be presented within 3 months from the date of its issuance, which means that the decision is valid for a period of three months from the date of its issue);
5) the following documents proving that you show an impeccable ethical attitude:
a) document 1:
The statement with the following content: "Being aware of the criminal liability for submitting a false declaration, I declare that I have not been punished for an intentional crime or an intentional fiscal crime and that there are no criminal proceedings against me in the case of an intentionally committed crime or a tax crime, and that there are no circumstances which, in accordance with the Code of Professional Ethics for Nurse and Midwife of the Republic of Poland and other legal regulations, within the meaning of the requirement specified in Art. 35a paragraph. 1 point 5 of the Act of 15 July 2011 on the professions of nurse and midwife (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 562, as amended), could affect the performance of the profession of a nurse or midwife on the territory of the Republic of Poland ".
(the declaration should also include your surname and first name, place and date of the declaration, and your legible signature).
b) document 2 (if obtainable in the State of origin of the nurse or midwife):
A document confirming your professional clean record and compliance with the ethical requirements, issued by an authorized body in the country where you practice / worked as a nurse or midwife;
6) a document issued by a competent authority abroad (e.g. an existing employer or a body of professional self-government) certifying that you have at least three years of professional experience as a nurse or midwife gained during the five years immediately preceding obtaining the certificate referred to in point 1;
7) nurse or midwife diploma.
This document must be legalized by the consul of the Republic of Poland competent for the country on whose territory or in whose education system this document was issued, or marked with an apostille (if the document was issued by a school operating in the education system of a state that is a party to the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, done
in The Hague on October 5, 1961);
8) issued by the competent authority, any other documents confirming the possession of professional qualifications corresponding to the scope of health services indicated in the certificate referred to in point 1.
Requirements that should be met by documents submitted by you to the Minister of Health
- Attach translations of foreign-language documents into Polish translated by a sworn translator within the meaning of the Act of 25 November 2004 on the profession of sworn translator (Journal of Laws of 2019, item 1326).
- Submit all documents in original. Instead of the originals, you can submit copies, if their compliance with the original has been certified by a Polish notary or consul, or by the party's representative acting as an attorney, legal advisor, patent attorney or tax advisor.
Course of the proceedings
The Minister of Health, on the basis of the documents attached to the application, gives his consent in the form of an administrative decision or refuses to consent to the profession of a nurse or midwife and a specific scope of professional activities, time and place of employment in the entity performing medical activities.
Before issuing an administrative decision, the Minister of Health may also consult a national consultant competent in the field of nursing or a voivodeship consultant in the field of nursing, in the area of the voivodeship where the nurse or midwife intends to practice.
If the application does not contain all the required documents, the Ministry of Health will contact you and ask you to complete it.
The documents submitted by you for the application will be returned after the end of the procedure by traditional mail to the correspondence address provided in the application, only if you submit such a request to the Minister of Health (you can contact the Minister of Health at any time with a request to return the submitted documents).
If you have received a positive decision, go to the district council of nurses and midwifes competent for the place of your planned employment in order to grant the right to practice the profession for the specific scope of professional activities indicated in the decision, as well as the period and place of their performance. After presenting the decision that you received from the Minister of Health, the district council of nurses and midwifes will grant you the right to practice the profession and issue a document "the license to practice the profession of nurse / nurse / midwife / midwife *) and enters the nurse or midwife in the register (referred to in Art. 48 (1) of the Act of 15 July 2011 on the professions of nurse and midwife).
* depending on your professional qualifications
How can you appeal
If you receive a negative decision, you have 14 days to apply for a reconsideration. Send the application to the address of the Ministry of Health.
Where to submit or submit the application
You can send the application by post to the following address:
Departament Rozwoju Kadr Medycznych
- Miodowa 15
or submit it in person to the Ministry's Registry Office, or
to the consul of the Republic of Poland
When to apply
During the declaration of an epidemic threat or epidemic in the territory of the Republic of Poland.
How much will you pay
The service is free.
- The right to practice as a nurse or midwife shall be valid for a period not longer than 5 years from the date of its issue and shall expire in the following cases:
1) obtaining by a nurse or midwife the right to practice the profession on the territory of the Republic of Poland on another basis;
2) issuing a decision on withdrawal of consent by the Minister of Health for the provision of health services by a given nurse or midwife, if it poses a threat to the life or health of patients. The consent is withdrawn by way of an administrative decision;
3) deletion from the register referred to in art. 48 sec. 1;
4) the expiry of the time for which it was issued;
5) total or partial incapacitation of a nurse or a midwife;
6) the nurse or midwife submits a declaration of waiver of this right;
7) death of a nurse or midwife.
It will not be possible to extend this right for another period, nor to issue a new license to practice a profession on the same terms after 5 years from the date of its issue.
After this time, a nurse / midwife will be able to practice in Poland only after the recognition of a diploma or completion of first-cycle studies (bachelor's degree) in the field of nursing or obstetrics.
- On the basis of the right to practice your profession, you can practice your profession on the territory of the Republic of Poland only in a medical entity indicated in the decision of the Minister of Health.
- On the basis of the right to practice, you will perform health services for 1 year under the supervision of another nurse or midwife appointed by the head of the entity that issued the certificate.
- The entity performing medical activity employs a nurse or midwife on the basis of a fixed-term employment contract, not longer than the period until the expiry of the license to practice.
- The district council of nurses and midwifes, immediately after receiving from the entity that issued you the information about the termination of your employment contract, will strike you off the register of nurses and midwifes, which will be tantamount to the expiry of your right to practice.
- After a positive consideration of the case, the Minister of Health sends an electronically mapped decision to the competent consul of the Republic of Poland by means of electronic communication.
After receiving the decision, the consul issues a visa, unless there are grounds for refusal to issue it.
Good to know
- During the employment period under the above rules, as a person who obtained qualifications outside the EU, you will be able to:
1) proceed with the recognition of your diploma at one of the universities in Poland (if the diploma meets the conditions specified in separate provisions of law) or
2) start higher education studies (bachelor's degree) in the field of nursing or midwifery.
- When applying for permission to practice the profession of a nurse or midwife, a nurse or midwife's diploma or its duplicate should be authenticated and then legalized by the consul or affixed with an apostille by the competent authority of the country where the document was issued. Which procedure will have to be followed is decided by which country has issued the document:
if the diploma was issued in a country that is a party to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents (a list of these countries can be found HERE), you must apply for an apostille to it at the competent office of the country where the document was issued (the list of these offices can be found HERE).
if the diploma was issued in a country that is not a party to this Convention, you will have to apply for its authentication at the competent office of the country where the document was issued (most often it is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), and then for its legalization at a Polish consulate. If you submit an application to the consul to legalize a document (e.g. a diploma), this activity will be subject to an additional fee. Information about it can be found on the website of the relevant consulate - select the options "Consular information" - "General information" - "Consular fees".
In the event that the authentication or legalization of the diploma or its duplicate or obtaining the apostille is significantly difficult or impossible, the Minister of Health will be able to release the applicant from this obligation.
Where to get additional information
If you have questions, please call our hotline (supported languages PL, UA, RU, EN) or write a message. Phone numer: (+48) 22 427 65 60
E-mail: [email protected]
- Application template:
- List of attachments to the application:
- Oświadczenie o znajomości języka polskiego pielęgniarki lub położnej
- Oświadczenie pełnej zdolności do czynności prawnych
- Szablon-zaświadczenie/promesa pielęgniarka lub położna
- Oświadczenie odpowiedzialności karnej/ wykazuje nienaganną postawę etyczną pielęgniarka lub położna
- Oświadczenie o braku wymaganych dokumentów
- Podanie o zwrot przesłanych dokumentów
Announcement of the Marshal of the Sejm of the Republic of Poland of February 28, 2020 on the publication of the uniform text of the Act on the professions of doctor and dentist, Journal of Laws No. 2020 item 514
Regulation of the Minister of Health of August 31, 2020 on the specialization of doctors and dentists, Journal of Laws No. 2020 item 1566
Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, signed at The Hague on October 5, 1961. 2005 No.112, item 938
ACT of 27 November 2020 amending certain acts in order to ensure that during the period of announcing an epidemic threat or an epidemic of medical staff (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 2401)
In Polish: Obwieszczenie Marszałka Sejmu Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z dnia 28 lutego 2020 r. w sprawie ogłoszenia jednolitego tekstu ustawy o zawodach lekarza i lekarza dentysty Dz.U. 2020 poz. 514
Rozporządzenie Ministra Zdrowia z dnia 31 sierpnia 2020 r. w sprawie specjalizacji lekarzy i lekarzy dentystów Dz.U. 2020 poz. 1566
Konwencja znosząca wymóg legalizacji zagranicznych dokumentów urzędowych, sporządzona w Hadze dnia 5 października 1961 r. Dz.U. 2005 nr 112 poz. 938
USTAWA z dnia 27 listopada 2020 r. o zmianie niektórych ustaw w celu zapewnienia w okresie ogłoszenia stanu zagrożenia epidemicznego lub stanu epidemii kadr medycznych (Dz.U. 2020 poz. 2401 )