On December 30, 2020, the existing regulations were amended, therefore doctors / dentists from outside the EU may start working in Polish medical facilities under new, additional simplified rules.
The doctor submits documents to the Ministry of Health for permission to practice the profession. Then, with the consent, he applies to the District Medical Chamber for a conditional right to practice. Depending on the province, you should report to the appropriate District Medical Chamber (example of the procedure in the Gdańsk branch). In the meantime, the doctor looks for a job in Cowid facilities (job offers). When he finds a job, he must report it to the Ministry of Health within 7 days. For more information, see the procedure below.
Who Can Benefit
Any person, regardless of citizenship (also a Pole), who obtained the qualifications of a doctor or dentist outside the territory of the European Union Member States, including:
1) Holds a doctor's or dentist's diploma confirming completion of at least five-year studies, issued in a country other than a European Union Member State. It is not required to legalize diplomas or duplicates and have an apostille of diplomas or their duplicates);
2) Has full legal capacity;
3) Her health condition allows her to practice as a doctor or dentist;
4) Has an impeccable ethical attitude;
5) Has a document confirming obtaining the title of specialist issued by a competent authority in a given country (obtained outside the EU).
Where can I practice as a doctor / dentist
In the entity in the medical entity intended to provide health services to patients suffering from COVID-19.
How to settle the matter and what documents to present
Submit a hand-signed application (Annex 3) to the Minister of Health or to the consul of the Republic of Poland (according to the available template, remember to include the correspondence address, e-mail address and telephone number) and all necessary documents for its consideration (number attached documents according to the number indicated in the application, translation of documents with the letter a):
1) a doctor's / dentist's diploma confirming the completion of at least five-year studies (obtained outside the EU). It is not required to legalize diplomas or duplicates and to have an apostille of diplomas or their duplicates;
2) a document confirming obtaining the title of a specialist, issued by a competent authority in a given country (obtained outside the EU). It is not required to legalize diplomas or duplicates and to have an apostille of diplomas or their duplicates;
3) a statement that reads as follows: "Being aware of criminal liability for making a false statement, I declare that I have full legal capacity" (the statement should contain your surname and first name, place and date of the statement and your legible signature);
4) a document issued by a doctor certifying that you have a health condition that allows you to practice as a doctor or dentist. This document may be issued by both a Polish doctor and a doctor from your country of origin, but then it must be translated into Polish by a sworn translator (remember the document may be presented within 3 months from the date of its issuance, which means that the decision is valid for a period of three months from the date of its issue), or
5) the following documents proving that you show an impeccable ethical attitude (document 1 or document 2):
a) document 1:
The statement with the following content: "Being aware of the criminal liability for submitting a false statement, I declare that I have not been punished for an intentional crime or an intentional fiscal crime and that there are no criminal proceedings against me in the case of an intentionally committed crime or a fiscal crime, and that there are no circumstances which, in accordance with the Code of Medical Ethics and other legal regulations, within the meaning of the requirement specified in Art. 5 sec. 1 point 5 of the Act of 5 December 1996 on the professions of doctor and dentist, could affect the performance of the profession of a doctor or dentist in the territory of the Republic of Poland ”. The content of the declaration should be writen in Polish: „Świadomy odpowiedzialności karnej za złożenie fałszywego oświadczenia oświadczam, że nie byłem karany za umyślne przestępstwo lub umyślne przestępstwo skarbowe oraz że nie toczy się przeciwko mnie postępowanie karne w sprawie o umyślnie popełnione przestępstwo lub przestępstwo skarbowe, oraz że nie zachodzą okoliczności, które zgodnie z Kodeksem Etyki Lekarskiej oraz innymi przepisami prawa, w rozumieniu wymogu określonego w art. 5 ust. 1 pkt 5 ustawy z dnia 5 grudnia 1996 r. o zawodach lekarza i lekarza dentysty, mogłyby mieć wpływ na wykonywanie zawodu lekarza lub lekarza dentysty na terytorium Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej”. The declaration should also contain your surname and first name, place and date of the declaration as well as your legible signature, or
b) document 2 (if obtainable in the given State of the doctor's origin):
A document confirming your professional clean record and meeting the ethical requirements, issued by an authorized body in the country in which you practice as a doctor or dentist.
6) Document issued by the competent authority (program of completed specialization training) confirming completion of specialization training corresponding in essential substantive elements to the program of specialization training in the Republic of Poland;
The document should specify, in particular:
- number of completed medical procedures,
- number of hours of completed specialization training,
- thematic scope of training / courses implemented as part of specialization training,
- possibly additional elements other than those mentioned in points 1-3.
7) Any other additional documents confirming professional qualifications issued by the competent authority.
Requirements that should be met by documents submitted by you to the Minister of Health
- Please note that all your documents originally issued in a language other than Polish must be accompanied by their certified translations into Polish issued by a sworn translator from your country or registered by the Polish Minister of Justice (register of translators). Please remember that the translator should refer to the list of specializations from the REGULATION OF THE MINISTER OF HEALTH of August 31, 2020 on the specializations of doctors and dentists (download the regulation), the list of specializations is on pages 18 to 25.
- Submit all documents in original. Instead of the originals, you can submit copies, if their compliance with the original has been certified by a Polish notary or consul or by the party's representative acting as an attorney, legal advisor, patent attorney or tax advisor.
How can you appeal
If you receive a negative decision, you have 14 days to apply for a reconsideration. Send the application to the address of the Ministry of Health.
Course of the proceedings
The minister competent for health, on the basis of the documents attached to the application, may (it is not obligatory) request an opinion to:
a) a national consultant competent in a given field of medicine or, failing this, a national consultant in a related field, or
b) a voivodeship consultant competent in a given field of medicine or in a related field, in the area of the voivodeship where the person intends to practice.
1) The Minister of Health expresses his consent in the form of an administrative decision or refuses to consent to the performance of the profession of a physician / dentist in the entity performing therapeutic activities. The consent is issued in the form of a decision issued with the so-called immediate enforceability, which means that the decision is enforceable immediately (immediately) after its issuance;
If the application does not contain all the required documents, the Ministry of Health will contact you and ask you to complete it.
2) If you have received a positive decision, go to the district medical council competent for the place of your planned employment in order to grant the right to practice the profession for the specific scope of professional activities indicated in the decision and the period and place of their performance;
3) Upon presentation of the decision, which you received from the Minister of Health, the district medical council will grant you the license to practice the profession and issue the document "license to practice medicine" or "license to practice dentist". The district medical council grants the license to practice and issues the document "The license to practice medicine" or the "License to practice the profession of dentist" within 7 days of receiving the decision of the Minister of Health.
The document "The license to practice the profession of a doctor" or the "License to practice the profession of a dentist" states that a given license to practice is a conditional right and indicates whether you will be able to practice the profession independently.
4) If the district medical council does not grant you the right to practice your profession
within 7 days from the date of receipt of the decision of the Minister of Health or when he refuses to grant you the right to practice the profession, until the final conclusion of the procedure for granting the right to practice a profession, you can practice the profession on the basis and to the extent specified
in the decision of the Minister of Health and during this period you are considered a doctor or dentist having the appropriate license to practice;
5) If the Minister of Health agrees to exercise the profession of a doctor / dentist on your own and you are granted the right to practice the profession, entitling you to exercise your profession independently, for the first 3 months of employment in the profession in the territory of the Republic of Poland, you will be able to practice under the supervision of a doctor or physician dentist with 2nd degree specialization or the title of specialist;
6) On the basis of the conditional right to practice your profession, you can practice in the territory of the Republic of Poland in a medical entity intended to provide health services to patients suffering from COVID-19;
7) If you already have a conditional license to practice as a doctor or a conditional license to practice as a dentist granted by the district medical council, you can again apply to the Minister of Health for consent to practice outside the medical entity intended to provide health services to patients suffering from COVID -19;
8) The documents submitted by you for the application will be returned after the end of the procedure by traditional mail to the correspondence address provided in the application, only if you submit such a request to the Minister of Health (you can contact the Minister of Health at any time with a request to return the submitted documents).
Where to submit or submit the application
You can send the application by post to the following address:
Departament Rozwoju Kadr Medycznych
- Miodowa 15
or submit it in person to the Ministry's Registry Office, or
to the consul of the Republic of Poland
When to apply
During the declaration of an epidemic threat or epidemic in the territory of the Republic of Poland.
How much will you pay
The service is free.
- Report to the Minister of Health, in which treatment entity and for what period you have been employed, within 7 days from the date of commencement of providing health services in this entity. Make the notification via the Doctors' Registration System (the so-called SEL). Failure to submit the notification may constitute a basis for withdrawing your consent to practice as a doctor / dentist. The consent may be withdrawn by way of an administrative decision.
- The right to practice the profession on the above terms may be granted for a period not longer than 5 years, without the possibility of its extension.
- On the basis of the conditional right to practice your profession, you can practice in the territory of the Republic of Poland in a medical entity intended to provide health services to patients suffering from COVID-19.
4.If you already have a conditional license to practice as a doctor or a conditional license to practice as a dentist granted by the district medical council, you can apply to the Minister of Health for consent to practice outside the medical entity intended to provide health services to patients suffering from COVID 19.
- On the basis of the license granted to you to practice as a doctor / dentist, you will be able to perform health services under the supervision of a guardian who is a doctor with a 2nd degree specialization or the title of specialist.
- Persons who hold a diploma in a country that did not belong to the EU at the time of its issuance, but now belongs, have automatically recognized qualifications and do not need to use the simplified system of access to the profession of medical doctor and dentist.
Good to know
During the period of employment under the above rules, as a person who obtained qualifications outside the EU, you will be able to:
1) proceed with the recognition of your diploma at one of the universities in Poland or
2) take the Medical Verification Examination / Medical-Dental Verification Examination conducted by the Medical Examinations Center in Łódź (Centrum Egzaminów Medycznych w Łodzi),
3) complete a postgraduate internship in Poland or recognize a postgraduate internship from abroad (the decision on the recognition of the internship is issued by the Minister of Health - the application is submitted to the Medical Center for Postgraduate Education, when the internship is conducted outside the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, and to the Minister of Health, when the internship is carried out in a Member State of the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland),
4) submit the Final Medical Examination / Medical-Dental Final Examination carried out by the Medical Examinations Canter in Łódź (Centrum Egzaminów Medycznych w Łodzi), which if it is passed with a positive result and after meeting other conditions, including indicated in points 1) or 2) and 3) will allow to obtain the license to practice as a doctor or the license to practice as a dentist.
Obtaining the right to practice a profession without restrictions will allow you to apply for recognition of the specialist title obtained outside the European Union, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland as equivalent to the title of specialist in the Republic of Poland (the decision in this matter is issued by the Minister of Health - the application is submitted to the Medical Center Postgraduate education[pl: Centrum Medycznego Kształcenia Podyplomowego]).
- application template nr 3
- List of attachments for the application
- Oświadczenie pełnej zdolności do czynności prawnych
- Oświadczenie odpowiedzialności karnej/ wykazuje nienaganną postawę etyczną lekarz/ lekarz dentysta
- Oświadczenie o braku wymaganych dokumentów
- Podanie o zwrot przesłanych dokumentów
- Orzeczenie o stanie zdrowia
Announcement of the Marshal of the Sejm of the Republic of Poland of February 28, 2020 on the publication of the uniform text of the Act on the professions of doctor and dentist, Journal of Laws No. 2020 item 514
Regulation of the Minister of Health of August 31, 2020 on the specialization of doctors and dentists, Journal of Laws No. 2020 item 1566
Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, signed at The Hague on October 5, 1961. 2005 No.112, item 938
ACT of 27 November 2020 amending certain acts in order to ensure that during the period of announcing an epidemic threat or an epidemic of medical staff (Journal of Laws of 2020, item 2401)
In Polish: Obwieszczenie Marszałka Sejmu Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z dnia 28 lutego 2020 r. w sprawie ogłoszenia jednolitego tekstu ustawy o zawodach lekarza i lekarza dentysty Dz.U. 2020 poz. 514
Rozporządzenie Ministra Zdrowia z dnia 31 sierpnia 2020 r. w sprawie specjalizacji lekarzy i lekarzy dentystów Dz.U. 2020 poz. 1566
Konwencja znosząca wymóg legalizacji zagranicznych dokumentów urzędowych, sporządzona w Hadze dnia 5 października 1961 r. Dz.U. 2005 nr 112 poz. 938
USTAWA z dnia 27 listopada 2020 r. o zmianie niektórych ustaw w celu zapewnienia w okresie ogłoszenia stanu zagrożenia epidemicznego lub stanu epidemii kadr medycznych (Dz.U. 2020 poz. 2401 )